Fenham 50th Anniversary
50th ANNIVERSARY OF FENHAM BELLS
The Church of SS. James and Basil, Fenham, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, was a gift of Sir James Knott, millionaire ship-owner, in memory of his two sons, James and Basil, who were killed in the Great War, 1914-18. Building was commenced in 1927, the foundation-stone being laid on 25 July, 1928, and the main structure and tower were completed by 1930. The bells were cast by Mears and Stainbank in the early part of 1930 and they comprise a chime of 17 bells, of which the major octave is hung for full circle ringing with a tenor of 14 cwt. in F, and the whole can be operated as a carillon by means of a clavier. Installation was carried out in December, 1930, the bell-hanger being Jesse Tyler, and the first try-out of the new ring was undertaken by a band from the Newcastle Cathedral Guild on 21 December, 1930. Of those present then, W. J. Davidson and R. S. Anderson are still active in ringing circles today.
The present local band at Fenham decided that the occasion could not pass without due celebration and the following quarter peals were rung on the bells to record the anniversary:
18 Dec., 1260 Stedman Triples:
Margaret Arthur 1. Catherine Maughan 2, Susan Hanson 3, W J Davidson 4,
T Sewell 5, K Arthur (C) 6. E N Harrison 7, P R Reavely 8.
The ringer of 4 attended the original try-out.
21 Dec., 1260 Doubles (2 m,):
Audrey Truman 1, Kathleen Crowe 2. R Hanson 3, E N Harrison 4, K Arthur (C) 5, Susan Hanson 6.
28 Dec., 1260 Doubles (2m .):
Elsie Storey (first quarter) 1, Margaret Arthur 2, A K Arthur 3, K Arthur (C ) 4, E N Harrison 5, T Sewel 6
End of article