Second Anniversary of the Dedication of the
From the Bell News Vol 13, Issue 657,
October 28th 1894
On Sunday October 28th, the Feast of SS. Simon and Jude, being
second anniversary of the dedication of the peal of bells, was observed
as a special festival at the parish church. The ringers rang an early
touch from 7 to 8 a.m. before the early celebration, and another touch
from 10 to 11 a.m. On the previous Thursday evening they rang a 720 of
Bob Minor for the first time since Easter Day, and this is the first
time it has been persformed without the assistance of their esteemed
preceptor, the Rev. C. Buston.
T. Appleby, 1; T. McLaren, 2; R. McLaren, 3; C. Pattinson, 2; J.
Smailes, 5; C. Langley (conductor), 6.
At the evening service special hymns and the anthem "Praise the
Jerusalem," were sung with great spirit and precision by the united
choirs of Embleton and Craster. The vicar in his sermon spoke at some
length on the various ways in which bells are a help and blessing both
to parishes and individuals, and how closely they are linked with so
many episodes of public and private life. He also drew attention to the
rapid and steady progress made by the Embleton ringers in their Art, an
Art which requires much scientific skill in its development.
On the following night the whole band of ringers, twelve in
entertained to supper at the vicarage, and spent a pleasant evening
interspersed with songs, handbell ringing, etc. The procedings were
kept up with great spirit till 11 p.m., when the company separated,
after joining in with the well-known refrain of "auld Lang Syne."
End of article