DEDICATION OF BELLS
From Church Bells Vol22, 11/11/1892, page941-2,
Friday 28th October 1892
Dedication of Bells at Embleton, Northumberland.
A little more than a year ago the authorities at Embleton
it was quite time a church possessing such a grand old tower as the
parish church of Holy Trinity, Embleton, ought to have a peal of bells.
A Bell Committee was formed. Subscriptions came from all quarters, both
in and out of Northumberland, and Messrs. Mears & Stainbank, the
well-known Whitechapel firm, received the order to put in a peal of
six, and on Friday, October 28th (SS. Simon and Jude) this picturesque
village (situated on the N.E. coast of Northumberland, within easy
distance of Fame Island and Holy Island, and close to that far-famed
landmark on the N.E. coast, Dunstanburgh Castle) was the scene of
festivity and great rejoicings. The employers of labour throughout this
wide and populous parish (1650 population) gave their men a
half-holiday in order that all might be present at the dedication.
Proceedings began by an official luncheon at the vicarage, where
Osborn entertained most hospitably the Bishop of Newcastle, Rev. C.
Buston (assistant priest), the three churchwardens (J. Craster, Esq.,
of Craster Tower; J. Forster, Esq., of Newton Hall; and Mr. J.
Thompson, of Embleton), and the six members of the Durham and Newcastle
Diocesan Association of Ringers who had been invited to open the bells,
and three other specially invited guests (Sir Edward Grey. M.P., the
Rev. W. M. Richardson, vicar of Ponteland; and the Rev. W. H. Connor,
vicar of Alnwick). The service was held at 2.30, the dedication taking
place in the tower, under the belfry. Mr. J. Craster, on behalf of the
churchwardens, requested the Bishop to dedicate the bells, which his
Lordship proceeded to do in the usual form, adding that the Vicar was
to take care that the bells were to be used only for the glory of God
and His Church, and that the churchwardens were to take notice that the
control of the bells was vested in the Vicar, subject to ultimate
control of the Bishop. After this the Bishop and clergy proceeded to
the chancel while the ringers rang the plain course of Stedman Doubles.
The Psalms used were cxxii. and cl., the lesson Numbers x. 1-11,
the hymns ‘Now at length our bells have mounted,’ and ‘ O God, Whom
veiled angels and archangels adore.’ The Bishop preached an excellent
sermon on worship from the text (Rev. viii. 1), ‘And there was silence
in heaven about the space of half an hour.’
The offertory realised 9l. 0s. 9d., and this, with the proceeds
public tea, which was afterwards held in the schoolroom, and another
offertory at the evening service, brought the handsome addition of 13l.
odd to the Bell Fund.
After the dedication service the ringers rang a peal of 5040
following methods in 2 hrs. 51 mins.:—Double Court , College Single,
Oxford Bob, Violet Treble Bob, Woodbine Treble Bob, Oxford Treble Bob,
Kent Treble Bob.
C. L. Routledge, 1; W. Holmes ; W. Story, 3; R. S. Story (President of
Association), 4; T. T. Gofton, 5; F. J. Harrison (conductor). 6. Tenor,
11 cwt. 2 qrs. 13 lbs.
This is the most northern place in England where a peal has yet
The ringers were afterwards entertained at supper by the Rev. C. Buston
The Bell Committee all worked hard, but special praise is due to
Craster, Esq., J.P., of Craster Tower, who acted as Treasurer of the
Fund and correspondent in arranging for the erection of the peal and
the necessary business in connexion with the work; nor must we omit to
mention Miss Osborn, the Vicar’s eldest daughter.
The bells reflect great credit on the old Whitechapel firm, and
excellent manager and tuner, Mr. Hughes, and it proves once more that
for a musical peal, as well as for good hanging, Messrs. Mears &
Stainbank stand unrivalled.
We wish to take this opportunity of thanking Mr. R. S. Story and
other members of the Diocesan Association who, at some inconvenience to
themselves, came all the way to Embleton, some forty miles, in order to
open the bells. Their ringing of the peal was acknowledged by all who
heard it to have been a grand performance, the striking being very good
and the musical effect a real treat to hear. It may be mentioned that
some people thought that the tower would not carry bells, and would
come down on the opening day; but the Newcastle ringers effectually
disposed of this delusion by firing the bells at the close of the
peal—a very good test of the strength of the tower.
this first peal
End of article
|From Church Bells Vol22, 25/11/1892, p982 (extract)
The Durham and Newcastle Association. Mon 31/10/1892
On Monday, the 3lst ult., the annual gathering of the Durham and
Newcastle Diocesan Association of Ringers was held in Newcastle. The
bells of All Saints’, St. John’s, and St. George’s, Jesmond, were
placed at the disposal of the members.
. . . The annual report, . . . alluded to the new ring of bells in St.
Nicholas’ Cathedral, and to the new bells which had been placed in All
Saints’ , Newcastle, and Holy Trinity, Embleton.
End of article